Had some leftover pineapple juice in the fridge and decided to elevate my usual soy glazed chicken marinate with a bit of tangy sweetness. Loved how the flavour of the pineapple juice and the subtle undertones of lemongrass came through in this marinate giving it extra depth!
I’ve simply glazed the chicken it as it is, without prior marinating, hence saving me time as i was in a hurry to whip up dinner for the boys. It works! Just so you know – that you can save time yet still get wonderful flavour. Definitely, an added bonus if you had a couple of hours to spare, to let the marinate fully do its thing.
Pineapple Soy Glazed Chicken @athomewithsimone
With the chicken, bursting full of flavour, you really don’t require much more to compliment the dish. I’ve served it up with a pipping warm bowl of jasmine rice and simple stir fry of garlic pea shoots for an enjoyable fuss-free dinner.
- Cut lemongrass can double up as your brush to glaze the chicken with.
- Turn up the heat to about 200°C, for the last 5 mins, adding brown sugar to the balance marinate and re-coating the chicken so it browns nicely at the top
- You can add canned pineapples and grill them together for juicy yumminess!
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 6 Chicken Drumsticks
- 1/4 Cup Bottled Pineapple Juice
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2 Lemongrass Stalks
- 2 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Mirin
- 1/2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Pinch of Salt
- Thorughly wash and clean chicken
- Dice garlic clove finely
- Pound and cut lemongrass stalks into thirds
- Mix pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic, honey, mirin, salt in a small sauce bowl
- Once ready, line oven tray and coat chicken drumsticks with marinate
- Add lemongrass on top of each drumstick
- Cook at 160°C for 20-25 minutes
- Finally, stir in brown sugar into remaining marinate.
- Removing the chicken from the oven, re-coat glaze then increase the temperature to 200°C to brown the top for the last 5 minutes.